Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Crazy eBay People...Or You Can't Fix Stupid

Since I've been down for the count for 64 days, (Yup, I counted.) I've been selling my old stuff on eBay. Totally a "job" I can do from the safety of my couch. While there are lots of nice, normal people out there in eBay land, there are also a few psychopaths. Here are my two favorites so far. 

Let's call the first one "scarf girl." I sold her a brand new scarf with the tags still on it for 99 cents plus shipping. It took her eons to pay, but she finally did and I shipped her the scarf to the address she had on file with eBay. I sent her the tracking information a few days later and that's when things got weird. 

Her: Oh. I didn't want you to ship it to that address. I wanted you to use the my other address. 

Me: Huh. I don't know you. That's why you provide eBay with your address. 

Her: Well, the address in my PayPal account is the right address. You should have gone into my account and noticed that the two addresses are different. 

Me: Why would I go into your PayPal account? eBay takes care of all that. And I don't have your PayPal password. 

Her: Well, can you go into the post office and find the package and get it back?

Me: Clearly you have no concept as to how the US mail system works. 

Her: I'm reporting you to eBay. 

Me: Go ahead. 

Final outcome: eBay refunded her the money in their dime AND she received the scarf. (Thank you tracking information.)

Moral of the story: Sometimes stupid people win. 

The next gem we'll call Jacket Girl. Jacket Girl bought a worn once jacket from me for $30 plus shipping after a pretty heated bidding war. I had posted pictures of the jacket from multiple angles and taken close up shots of the size tags. I clearly stated that I do not accept returns. It took nearly a month, but before long I got an email from Jacket Girl that went like this:

Her: This jacket doesn't fit me at all. It's too narrow in the hips. I want my money back AND I want to keep the jacket. 

Me: I clearly stated the size in the listing. I'm sorry it doesn't fit, but I don't do returns, as I said earlier. And why on earth would you want to keep a jacket that doesn't fit?!

Her: The jacket is too long.

Me: There were multiple pictures of the jacket with the listing so you could see that. If you want, you can ship the jacket back to me and I will refund you the cost of the jacket, but not the shipping. 

Her: (sound of crickets chirping)

Final outcome: I told ebay I was sticking with my no returns policy. They said the seller might give me a bad rating. I said oh well. 

Moral of the story: It sucks when you buy something non refundable and it doesn't fit. Just do what I do-turn around and sell it on eBay. 

So there you have it. Using eBay to sell stuff you have laying around in your closet is a great way to make a little extra money. And there are mostly nice people out there. But be prepared to deal with Internet psychos. Who now have your home address. Awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment