Sunday, March 8, 2015

Heidi's Tips for Surviving Life in a Transitional Neighborhood that is Transitioning the Wrong Way

Apparently at one point our neighborhood was filled with families made up of blue collar workers. They lived their entire lives in the same 3 decker-with different family members occupying each apartment. Some of these people are still in my 'hood and I see them once a year when it's time to vote, but now the neighborhood is definitely transitioning-the wrong way. Instead of families who look out for one another, the neighborhood is largely transitional, and people barely know each other. This requires some helpful hints for surviving in a questionable neighborhood. 

1. Get to know your sketchiest neighbors. This step is really important. These are the people you want on your side when shit goes down-and it always goes down in the 'hood. Say hello. Hold the door. You treat them well, they'll treat you well. I have one awesome neighbor who buzzes me in when my hands are full and keeps an eye on my car (her porch faces the parking lot) so no one breaks into it. She's moving soon. I'm sad. 

2. Keep the WPD non-emergency number handy. While 9-1-1 is handy for those big emergencies, (like the knife attack and the tweaker gone wild) 
sometimes you need to call the police because your neighbor's bass is shaking your kid's bed at 2am or because the people in the 3 decker next door started throwing TVs out of the laundry window. The po-po doesn't like it if you use 9-1-1 for these "emergencies," so it's always a good idea to keep the non emergency number on hand so you don't find yourself doing a desperate Google search at 2am. (Been there.) I keep it on my fridge and in my phone. And I use it often. 

3. Know about text a tip. The WPD advertises this service on the backs of the city buses. It's their way of trying to get around the "no snitching" policy in the 'hood. You just text your crime tip to the number and voila! You are not a snitch! You are a concerned citizen of the Woo, helping the police do their job via technology. Just make sure you text the letters WPD before your tip. Apparently there is just one text a tip line and other cities use it too. Texting WPD first lets them know that the tip is from Worcester. Now go get 'em, crime fighter!



4. When times get tough, steal power.  Sometimes in the 'hood, money gets tight. (OK-money is AWAYS tight in the 'hood.) But sometimes it gets so tight that you have to pick and choose which bills to pay...or start a game of check writing roulette. (Everyone does this. Right???) Sometimes, despite these efforts, your power may get shut off. If this happens, just do what my neighbors do. Run an extension cord to the outlet in the hallway and steal power from the building's common areas. Your lights work. You're welcome. 

5. Always lock your door. This one pretty much goes without saying, but not for the reason you'd think. I don't keep my door locked out of fear of robbery because really, no one's going to sh*t where they eat. I keep the door locked to keep the wanderers out. Yup. In a building where every floor looks exactly the same, people will wander into your apartment, thinking it's theirs. I've done it. My neighbors have done it. It always freaks out all parties involved. Spare yourself the awkwardness. Lock your door. 

6. Use a space saver. Unlike some communities around Boston where using space savers after a snowstorm is a punishable crime, the practice is still alive and well in the Woo...because 'Murica. Having been the person who got up early before work to shovel out their on street parking space, only to come home after work and discover that the lazy upstairs neighbor has stolen said space, forcing you to have to park on an iceberg, which makes you late for work the following day because your car got stuck, I fully support the use of space savers. (I'm looking at you, residents of 26 Howland Terrace, Apt 2, circa 2003!). Lately I've seen some pretty creative space savers in the 'hood, and if I could walk I would have taken pictures of them. But I can't, so you'll have to create a mental image of these beauties. Popular space savers include things like chairs, end tables, old TVs, empty Rubbermaid tubs, stolen traffic cones, and boxes. One of my two favorites is the quite popular use of the Graco baby carrier. No one's going to move that space saver because of the "what if" factor. What if there really is a baby in there? (Quite a possibility in this neighborhood...) You don't want to be the one accused to moving someone else's baby. Even if it was being used to save a parking space. And my personal favorite? The Cozy Coupe. The person who used this one is a genius! Because if Worcester does someday decide to crack down on the use of space savers, this person could probably argue their way out of a fine. "Officer! That's not a space saver! That's my car! It's the only car I can afford and I'm just parking it in front of my house." See?? Genius!! 

Let me know if you see anything that tops the Cozy Coupe. I just KNOW there's something even more awesome out there, just waiting to be discovered.


No comments:

Post a Comment